Tuesday, November 03, 2009

All Hallows Eve - Sucks

I really tried to like Halloween this year but alas, it is another holiday in which I find little to no joy.

I think this may be a great life issue than the holidays themselves but that is another post for another time, I suppose.

This year I felt extra pressure to make our costumes and do what I could to get in the spirit and enjoy the experience. I stole Elliott's costume idea from Martha Stewart and then just made mine to compliment that.



For someone who doesn't sew or engage in any other activities with their hands, this was a major undertaking and I was proud with the outcome until I saw these photos.


I think Elliott looks adorable and Kimball looks funny but he doesn't look like the chicken I had intended as he would not wear a beak. Sometimes dogs stand up for themselves and that is frustrating.

My costume just sucks. I am glad there weren't any additional photos of it because it would just make me angrier that I spent so much time and money on it and I look like a...
I am doing my best not to be totally irrational about my appearance so I will end that sentence prematurely.
So there you have it. I made an effort and I still hate Halloween.

Sorry if that makes me boring or uncreative but the reality is this: I was raised to believe I was a creative person and I have come to realize that is not the case.

For over 20 years, I functioned under the delusion that I had an innovative personality but this is just not true.

I am not good at imagining or looking past the realm of precise reality that I am faced with. I can be philosophical but I cannot be imaginative.

Therefore, the stress and social pressure of coming up with something creative and fun to dress up as and showcase to the world is at the top of my least favorite things list.

I just had to tell it like it is.

4 comments:

just jen said...

what are you talking about?

it was very creative to have a theme and to make that chicken costume.

give yourself some credit!

i love halloween, but i have to admit that this year i was not too excited. i think it had something to do with the swine flu, and the fact that colin is not here...whatever.

i think you look great, love the tutu!

Elaine said...

I wore a snuggie. It was awesome.

Maya said...

I've been telling people for 2 weeks all about your adorable bee keeper and bee outfit. No need for a beak for puppy; Keeley's cat Richie has a chicken bonnet without a beak and it gets the point across perfectly.

Ashley C. said...

i have never "made" a costume for halloween. just borrowed or bought. always makes me feel better, with less angst.

that being said- your costumes rock. i admire anyone who comes up with an idea and a theme.

i have had the conversation with myself lately that goes something like this....

self.. you are creative.
self says back... no, im really not. i have no hobby. i am not a mom-raprauner. i am not crafting on weekends.
self... oh well.

i feel your pain.

love you!!! excited to spend thanksgiving time with you guys.