Friday, May 16, 2008

A boy and his boat

Elliott LOVES our (his) boat. I came home unexpectedly the other night and found him in the back yard sitting in his boat on the trailer, rowing. I took a picture through the kitchen window to show everyone how sweet it was but unless you know how much time he spends thinking of little ways to improve our set-up. I am convinced it is all he thinks about between January 1st and November 30th.
When we first got the raft I thought it would be a part time hobby we would do a few times a summer so the investment made me a little uneasy. How wrong I was. There are few things in this world that make Elliott as happy or are as validating as his heroic, stoic and isolated days on the river. This is what he loves, that red boat is truly his kingdom and I am content to be his passenger.
We are leaving today for Desolation Canyon where we will spend 5 days on the Green River out of touch with anything going on beyond the canyon walls. No phones, no roads, no electricity or running water. Elliott looks forward to this all year, a time that is sacred and untouchable. I look forward to Elliott being happy and among friends who appreciate his humor, charm and skill as a boat captain.
I will give a full report when we return.

4 comments:

sarahbellac said...

Would LOVE to see that pic you took through the window! How are you guys? Hopefully great.
Miss you.
Bring your boat out to KC anytime and row along the 'wide Missouri!'

Mrs. Misses said...

i want to see a picture of the foot-powered car. Did you go on that trip already? I'm glad you guys have such a fun hobby. I guess its fun to be able to go on outdoor adventures. I wouldn't know. The closest I get it the sometimes agonizing adventure of dragging two kids to the park and back. Enjoy it for me!

williamsfam5 said...

Throw a snake in his boat...just for fun. He'll love it.
Love, The Captian's Sister

Joshi (Yoshi) said...

How similar we are (on top of choosing the same blog background). When Trent bought our boat I had the same thoughts running threw my head. If I only knew what a grand hobby it would turn into, we probably would have made the investment years ago. Thanks for the entertaining time these last five days! I love your way with words on your blog too.