Monday, June 09, 2008

I love Utah

I really do love Utah. I have traveled all over the world, been to every state except Alaska and I choose Utah as my home. Last weekend Elliott took to the river for some male bondage and I had a wonderful weekend enjoying all the things I love the most about the Promised Land.

I took my first long ride on my new (really it is borrowed from Ashley of John and Ashley) road bike with Adrian leading the way, baby in tow up the Provo River trail. Gorgeous! Can I say enough about that canyon? I took for granted that I grew up 5 minutes from a spectacular waterfall and majestic mountain walls and this ride reminded me of how lucky I was. It also helps to be on a road bike. Fast enough that you aren't frustrated, slow enough to enjoy the scenery.
I had a few "incidents" as I learned (or didn't) to use the clips on the pedals. Note: My older sister did not rush to help when she found me laying on the ground, she is a good sister and documented my humiliation in real time. Good work, Adrian. AND Sydney thought that this ride and the park at the end were the greatest things. So many smiles.
This fall was the first of 2 that day. The next one hurt a lot more. Turns out that when you get big the ground is farther away.


I also went on a little excursion to fetch Timmy so he could spend some quality time with us and driving back to Salt Lake I was truck by this site:

I may not sema like much but as you drive Gram's route on Hwy 89 from the North you get this picture of the capitol floating in mid air with the snowy peaks behind it. I love it! I made Timmy stick his head out the top of the car and try to get some photos. The people behind us did not share our joy in this.

THEN, if you continue South on Hwy 89 to the very tippy top of State Street you get a perfect view of Salt Lake at its spring best. A vibrant green canopy rests over the street, muting all of the city noise. It is days like this that I remember why I live here. Lets be honest, now and again we all need a reminder.

Here is a little photo tour of last Sunday. It was such a good day.



From the hill looking down State St. I yelled at Tim because he missed the picture I really wanted. Sorry Tim.
The fancy Governor's mansion.

Kimball and Timmy, "livin plan B" (look at Kimball's teeth. WTF?)
My BUddy, my Buddy wherever I go, you're gonna go...

Kimball decided he hates the convertible so he pouted on the floor in the shade. What kind of dog gets tired of sticking their head out the window?

My Street. Sure is fancy and green.
Adrian, Amy, Sydney, Mabel and Timmy all came and worked in the yard planting flowers and vegetables. Sydney was mad. I mean really mad.

Good Sabbath, good sabbath.

2 comments:

just jen said...

i miss utah...now you done went and made me homesick...

cute pics of baby...i want to see him next time i come.

which won't be until gas is less than $5 a gallon.

durnit.

Rachel Leigh said...

your dog is so funny! sounds like a fun day!